Monday, March 16, 2009

An Ounce of Wine and 5 minutes....

so at 11:14pm and with an ounce of wine in my glass and just 5 minutes before i keel over from exhaustion - I need to release this day.
Margie's surgery was today - the step one of the colostomy reconnect.
Sarah and I got to the hospital at 6am. I woke up about every 30 minutes from 2am on...fearful of oversleeping and not seeing M before she went into the 7:30 am surgery.
We knew it would be long. or at least suspected. at 5 1/2 hours into the surgery, Dr. JL called down to tell us it was rougher than he thought it'd be but that Margie was doing great.

I tell you, the memory of the mind is boggling. 11 months ago to the day we were there hearing the nasty little news about the cancer. I've dreaded walking back into the surgical waiting room and especially the surgeon consult room. the thought of that room has put me into a tizzy for a week.

After the waiting and waiting (just like last time....) we were finally called back into the room and it was excruciating to wait for Dr. JL to come give us the update. I can picture every single second of the waiting last time, of Dr. JL coming in and giving us the news, every word and look that he gave us 11 months ago. Every time I stole a glance at Tim's face turning deep red with stress and fear, and Sarah with silent tears running down her face as they told us it was cancer. It's all I could think about as we sat there today.

Margie did great today. it was tough on the doc, tough on margie. I LOVE this doctor who could have taken one look at a terribly long surgery (as opposed to the 2-4 that he is used to). He could have said - "sorry, too much - that colostomy is something you'll have to get used to".
I know without a doubt that he did his absolute best to do right by Margie today.

times up...wines gone - time for bed :-)

No comments: