Thursday, July 03, 2008

Happy Birthday Mason!

7/3/1995


I tucked you in as a newborn babe - close to my heart

And to God I prayed

I’d do no harm and help you grow strong

In the blink of an eye – the first year was gone.




I tucked you in, a stubborn two - “I do it mommy!”

My prayers to God grew

I’d do no harm, Lord help me be strong

In the blink of an eye – the terrible two’s were gone.




I tucked you in - three, four and five

With God’s grace, help us to strive

We’d do no harm, make our family grow strong.

In the blink of an eye – three, four, five were gone.



I tucked you in - six, seven, eight, nine

Each night thanking God that you’re mine

We’d do no harm, Lord help us be strong

In the blink of an eye – six, seven, eight, nine…gone.





I tucked you in - ten, eleven and twelve

Praying to God, you’d find yourself

- Kind and true, confidence built strong

In the blink of an eye – ten, eleven, twelve were gone.



I tucked you in - on the eve of thirteen

Thanking the Lord for the glimpse that I’ve seen

Of the man you’re becoming with character strong

In the blink of an eye – the little boy’s gone.





___________________

I did tuck Mason in last night, wondering how thirteen years have gone so fast. How Mason was just Si's age, how I was just walking him to school like I'll do with Ella this fall. And looking at him, I see such a kind, funny kid - growing into a warm, caring young man. I can't ask for more.
Justin and I were talking last night - how young and naive we were when we had Mason. He broke us into parenthood gently. A fun, easy going, beautiful child that left us craving to be parents again (and again - but probably not
again).
We didn't have a name picked out when we went into labor. A baby popped out and we decided he looked like a Mason. The old English definition of Mason is "to make" - he made us a family and he has made me and Justin better people by being his parents.
We love you Mason Paul!

No comments: